Simply click on the Favourite Button to add a design into your Favourite



Knockdown Rebuild


Have a question about Knockdown Rebuild? Here are the most
commonly asked questions.

Do I have to use a surveyor and/or conveyancer?

There aren’t any legal requirements for you to use either, but the expertise of experienced professionals will make the process quicker and easier for you.

Your plans need to be drawn to specific standards to meet regulations, and surveyors can take care of this, along with lodging and tracking your subdivision application and dealing with other important approval processes. 

What does a surveyor do?

A surveyor can help by:

  • Discussing the best way to subdivide – e.g. Torrens Title or Community Title.
  • Preparing a concept plan for the development application, paying attention to services and special requirements for your site.
  • Performing a preliminary survey and town planning report if one is required.
  • Lodging your development application with the Development Assessment Commission and other authorities.
  • Monitoring and keeping you up-to-date with the progress of your development application.
  • Preparing the certified survey and pegging plan after the Council has given planning approval.
  • Obtaining the land division certificate from the Development Assessment Commission.
  • Lodging the certified survey and pegging plan with the Lands Title Office for examination. 
What does a conveyancer do?

A conveyancer can improve your knock down rebuild process by:

  • Liaising with your surveyor during the development application process.
  • Preparing documentation for the Lands Title Office to ensure your certified survey and pegging plan is lodged, and your Certificate of Title is issued.
  • Preparing and handling important documentation – preparing for the application for deposit of a plan of subdivision; dealing with and obtaining consent from all registered interests on the Certificate of Title (mortgagees, encumbrances and agreements); and obtaining consent for special requirements from the distribution lessor, SA Water, Council and Rights of Way. 
Which kind of subdivision is right for my block? Torrens Title? Strata Title? Community Title?

Your surveyor can take you through your options in detail and help you determine the right one for your block, but most people choose a Torrens Title because it results in separate allotments with their own services.

When choosing your Title, you’ll need to consider

  • Development cost (water, sewerage, agent fees)
  • Marketplace evaluation
  • Professional advice (surveyor, real estate agent, valuer)
  • Family and personal choice
  • Size, design and the nature of the development process
  • Development plan requirements.
When do I need to begin the subdivision process?

Your application for subdivision should be lodged as soon as possible after you’ve spoken with your Hickinbotham Consultant about which homes you’d like to build.

The process can be different, depending on which council area you’re in – some councils require full development approval before subdivision can be approved, while others will consider the building application at the same time as the application for subdivision.

Once approvals are issued, the building process can begin. Your subdivision plans will need to be lodged by the Lands Title Office before the construction phase can begin. 



Contact us online or call 1300 724 663 to have your questions answered by a Hickinbotham Consultant.


Be the first to hear about latest news, special offers and industry tips